Why Smoke Free?
Secondhand smoke can have significant negative health effects on children,
non-smokers, pets, and the home environment. Creating a Smoke-Free Home Rule—not allowing smoking in the home at anytime or anywhere—not only reduces the dangers of secondhand smoke, but also has many other health benefits for everyone living in and visiting your home. Remember, having this rule doesn’t mean you have to quit smoking…some things are just better outside.
The purpose of this program is to increase household smoking bans and to reduce exposure to secondhand smoke in nonsmokers and children.
Secondhand Smoke Is..?
Secondhand smoke can be a mixture of two kinds of tobacco smoke. Secondhand smoke is
- Smoke that floats from the burning tip of a cigarette, cigar or pipe and/or
- Smoke that comes from a smoker’s mouth or nose when he or she is smoking
Secondhand smoke is an EPA class A carcinogen containing toxic chemicals that can lead to cancer.
Over the past two decades great steps have been taken to create smoke-free environments through the creation of smoke free policies. Due to this progress, homes have now become a primary source of exposure to secondhand smoke for non-smokers.
Secondhand smoke exposure is harmful and can lead to various health problems among babies, young children, teenagers and adult non-smokers.
Benefits of a Smoke-free Home
- Can reduce exposure to secondhand smoke in adult nonsmokers and children
- May help smokers to quit or reduce number of cigarettes smoked
- May disrupt the smoking initiation process
Candidates are eligible to participate if they are:
- 18 years of age or older
- Speak and understand English
- Smoke and live with at least one other non-smoker person OR don’t smoke but live with a smoker
- Do not have a total smoking ban in their home
Only one person per household is eligible to participate.
You can earn up to $50 in gift cards for participating in the program!
If you, or someone you know is interested in being a part of our Smoke Free Homes Program at Vista Community Clinic please contact one of our Specialists at anytime.
Click here to access our program flyers!
office phone: P 760-631-5000 x.7153
office phone: P 760-631-5000 x. 7103